Saturday, March 14, 2015

March: Out at sea with the Navy

As tiny adventures continue, I have taken a turn down a different road. This month has slowed progress on tiny house, but continued my tiny learning - I have been living on the ship out to sea! My current living/working space is 505ft long x 66.6 ft wide and I am joined by 300 adults 24/7. Although this seems quite larger than tiny house, it means 110 sqft per person to live, work, and exercise - just smaller than tiny house.

I technically have 110 sq ft to myself, but those feet are definitely spread thin on our ship. My living space is actually a 10'x8' room shared with two other women. We have learned to how to store all of our possessions in very small spaces. It is a great transition from an apartment to tiny house - I don't have much of a choice except to pair down to the few items I actually need on a ship.

As I plan my house I know I want to be as off the grid as possible. I am trying my hardest to not have a sewage system. In effort to achieve this, I am going chemical free! I have finally transitioned to chemical free shampoo and conditioner. After many failed attempts (specifically Garnier Fructis Pure-Clean which left gross white film on my hair), I have found baking soda and apple cider vinegar. It has been a god send! It has fixed everything I didn't like about my hair, making it smooth, not as oily, and very manageable. It took me a while to even try it - but after one wash I was sold. As much as I would like to believe I am above peer opinion, the social stigma kept me from trying it earlier. Now, I wish I had never waited! A key factor for me is to make enough for a handful of washes so I don't have to worry about mixing it up everyday.

Claire's How to Baking Soda and Vinegar Shampoo/Conditioner:

- Buy two attractive squeeze bottles (the more it looks like a traditional shampoo bottle, the more comfortable to transition will be) big enough for approx. 1- 2 cups of liquid
- Mix a ratio of 1:5, baking soda:water in one bottle
- Mix a ratio of 1:4, apple cider vinegar:water in second bottle
- Before each use, vigorously shake bottles
- Use approx. 1/4 cup per use
- Shampoo mostly at your roots
- Condition mostly at the length of your hair, but work it in where ever you need.

I started using it 4 times a week when I started out, but I was able to wean off and now only was my hard 2-3 times a week (I shower much more though!).

Other then showering USS BENFOLD has been up to much much more this month. Here are a few photos and videos because we all know, pictures speak louder then words.





Our first missile shoot! A huge success!
Captain showing us how comms are done!

Sailing through San Diego




No comments:

Post a Comment