Thursday, November 27, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!

Don't forget to remember what you are thankful for today!

I am thankfully for the ability to pick up and move, the ability to fund this crazy adventure, and all of the support I am getting from family, friends, and strangers alike. I hope everyone has a wonderful meal today! If anyone in San Diego needs a place to sit, you are welcome at my table!

Yokosuka, Japan
After watching the Netflix movie Tiny: A Story About Living Small two months ago, my research brought me to a quick realization. Although creating a tiny house (TH) from scratch, trailer all the way to roof, would be amazing it would be a long project. Someday I want to build the entire house myself, but within the next year I will be temporarily moving to Japan for 6 months when my ship, USS BENFOLD (DDG 65), homeport shifts. Building the entire house will just not work with 6 mo. My goal is to have the house completed before leaving for Japan, so when I come back to the states I can move right back into it and start Nuclear Propulsion school in South Carolina without extra distractions.
Charleston, South Carolina

The Tumble Weed Houses website has provided me the jumping off point I need - a barn raiser. A partly finished TH, fully mounted on a sturdy trailer. Like I said in my first post, I have gotten my blueprints to the TH. Once purchased they are downloadable from the site. The great part about the website is they give you a discount (the same price as the blueprints) on your final purchase. Truthfully, seeing the plans makes the project a bit more daunting. It is a big undertaking, but I will have help! I have found a TH community in San Diego that is very eager to help each other out. I am planning weekend work parties to accomplish the big tasks. One weekend siding, the next roofing. My co-workers have also been very supportive (although they all think I'm a bit crazy) and have offered to help out too. Everyone is welcome - just let me know when you are headed out to San Diego and I will put you to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment